What to do if I don’t approve of the way that my wife is raising out son and she has custody?

My ex-wife has custody of our son that is 16 now. He is a sophmore and loves sports. Unfortunately, since the end of his freshman year his grades have suffered and has since lost eligibility for athletics. Also, his mother endorses his relationship with a junior girl who is a mother herself. I fear and feel that this environment is detrimental to his future, first as a teenager and second as an student/athlete. My ex and I don’t speak much, however, my son and I have a great relationship. My first instinct is to cut his ties with this girl and set guidelines for his mother to follow in regards to his best interest, which I do not feel is being met. What should I do, and would I have any recourse in court?

Asked on January 11, 2013 under Family Law, Indiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

More information is really needed as to the issue of custody.  Do you mean that you have no decision making power at all with your son?  One parent generally has physical custody but courts favor joint custody for decision making.  If you believe that your son's best interests are not being met then you need to petition the court to allow you decision making power and maybe even for a change of physical custody of your son. Speak with an attorney in your area who can read the order presently in place and advise you of the next best step.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.