My ex husband is trying to stop paying alimony

In our divorce it states that he is to
continuing paying until our son reached
18.Now since he is in a relationship he
is trying to slack off paying.What
should I do?

Asked on October 4, 2017 under Family Law, Michigan


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Your recourse is to pursue contempt of court against your ex.
You will need to file an Order to Show Cause to request a hearing for contempt of court.  Prior to filing your Order to Show Cause, call the court clerk and request a hearing date.  Include the date/time/department of the hearing in your Order to Show Cause.  With the Order to Show Cause, file your declaration signed under penalty of perjury stating the facts in support of your contempt of court claim and file any other documents or items which are supporting evidence of your contempt of court claim.  Also, file a proof of service (court form). 
After filing these documents with the court, mail a copy of your documents to your ex with the proof of service.  The proof of service verifies the date of mailing your documents to your ex to provide him with notice of the hearing.
Before filing your documents with the court, ask the court clerk if there are any other documents required for filing for contempt of court because the required documents may vary from state to state.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.