What can I do if I was involved in a car accident and signed a release with the insurer but now am suffering from some late onset some personal injuries?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I was involved in a car accident and signed a release with the insurer but now am suffering from some late onset some personal injuries?

a few days after the accident, a lady from the insurance company called me and offered me $1000 to settle the claim. I signed on the release form and received the check amount of $1000. I didn’t deposit the check. Then, 2 weeks after the accident, i couldn’t turn my neck and also had very bad lower back pain. I went to the doctor and he said that I need at least 6 to 8 weeks of treatment. I called the insurance company and explained about my situation but she said she couldn’t help me with anything because I had already signed on the release form. Is there any way that I can get coverage from by the insurance company?

Asked on December 14, 2015 under Personal Injury, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Read the release carefully, but if it states anything like that the $1,000 was in full settlement or satisfaction of your claim(s), or that you are giving up the right to sue, etc. then you would be limited to the money your already received: a release is a contract, and if you agree to a contract, you are obligated to it, even if it later turns out to have been a bad decision for you. You can only seek additional compenstion if the release does not prohibit or prevent you from doing so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption