If my ex-husband is refusing to give my 4 year old son back to me, what rights do I have?

My ex-husband is refusing to give my 4 year old son back to me after his weekend with him. In the papers he has to return him by 7 pm tonight. What rights do I have if he doesn’t? Is he in contempt of court if he keeps him from me? I’m also worried about his safety with him. We both have joint custody, but I have him full time. He has not wanted him for the time he does have in the papers. He only wants to see him 2 times a month.

Asked on May 20, 2012 under Family Law, Utah


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I think that you need to speak with an attorney here as soon as you can regarding the custody and visitation here.  But in the meantime yes, he is in contempt of the court order.  If you are really worried about the child then you may need to bring an emergency petition before the court.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.