If my ex-husband is on the birth certificate for my son but he is not the biological father, can I have him removd from joint custody?

He took care of him while I was incarcerated and now he is treating him badly. I want him to do a paternity test to show that he is not the father.

Asked on November 7, 2012 under Family Law, Hawaii


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you have concerns with respect to custodial issues of your "ex" and your son, you have the right under all laws of this country to file a petition with the court seeking modification of the child custody order in place. I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney to assist you in the endeavor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.