What to do if my dog was attacked by another dog?

My dog was attacked and bitten by another dog and the person stopped paying me back for the vet bills. I was planning on breeding my dog but after the attack she had to be spayed. I’ve filed for a small claims against them and am asking for the medical bill and lost of income from breeding. Do I have a good case? Both dogs were not on a leash but this other dog ran out of its home to attack my dog in the street.

Asked on July 20, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written, you seem to have a good chance of getting an award in small claims court for the unpaid medical bills for your dog since the owner of the other dog was maiing them for some time period. However, under the law, just because a person offers to make payment for something does not in and of itself mean that the person making the offer is liable for the damages.

As to lost profits due to the inability of your dog to have litters, proving lost profits under the law on an enterprise that has not been in the works for several years is typically a difficult thing to do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.