What to do if a company is charging me for services tthat hey never provided?

UPDATED: Jul 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 19, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a company is charging me for services tthat hey never provided?

I was planning on getting married at a event center. I gave them my deposit and signed a contract. A few weeks later I called and cancelled the event in which they told me I would lose my deposit. Now years later I pulled my credit report and the event center is charging for a full event that never happened. They claim I didn’t cancel and have put a collection of $6600 on my credit report. I cancelled almost a year before the event and the company never contacted me after I cancelled. Can they charge me full price for a event that never occurred?

Asked on July 19, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

There are three different issues here:

1) Legally, whether they can charge you the full amount, assuming you did cancel properly, depends on what the agreement or contract said--if it allowed them to charge you the full amount if you canceled when and the way you did, and you signed that agreement, they can charge you this money.

2) Whether your cancellation was effective depends on how you provided it and what the agreement said--if, for example, it required written notice but you only provided oral or verbal notice (e.g. a phone call), it would not have been effective.

3) Related to the issue above; even if you in fact cancelled properly, if you did so in a way which did not provide any evidence (e.g. a phone call), it may be very difficult to prove you did cancel in accordance with the terms of the contract if they insist and testify that you did not.

Given how much is at stake, you should consult with an attorney about your matter. Bring with you all correspondence, notes, and agreements.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption