If my daughter let her boyfriend borrow my car but he had an accident but his license was suspended and he was DUI, will my insurance cover it?

He rear-ended someone. She then found out that he had a suspended license and had gotten arrested for possible DUI. I have full coverage on car.

Asked on December 12, 2015 under Accident Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You are potentially liable for all injuries and damage he caused: the owner of a car is liable for what at-fault drivers whom he or she lets drive his or her car do. That extends to being liable for the actions of people whom a person whom the driver permitted to borrow the car: if A owns a car and lets B use it, and B then lets C use the car, A is liable for C. If the boyfriend was DUI and rear-ended someone he was at fault. Worse, while you should check your insurance policy to be sure, most policies exclude (do not cover) accidents caused while DUI, so your policy has that exclusion, your insurance will most likely not pay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.