If my daughter is homeless, mentally ill and has contracted TB, since I believe her to now be dead how will that affect how my estate is distributed when I pass?

I have not heard from her in 2-1/2 years. She is in my Will, along with my other daughter – 50/50. After I pass away, what must be done to prove that she is gone, so my other daughter can move on with the Will?

Asked on October 1, 2014 under Estate Planning, Colorado


A. Houser / The Houser Law Firm

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If your state allows it, one option to prevent things from being held up may be to allow the sister to hold the missing daughters share in trust for a predetermined period of time and / or until it can be determined if she has passed or not.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.