If my Chapter 7 was discharged 6 years ago and we stayed in the house but did not reaffirm the mortgage, what happens if it now goes into foreclosure?

The mortgage was recently sold and we are being threatened with foreclosure, we are several months behind. This mortgage does not show on my credit report since it was “closed” or “satisfied” through the Chapter 7. I am looking for a new home, and currently have a good credit score and got pre-approved for a loan.If they go forward with the foreclosure, can they come after a new property I purchased?

Asked on March 5, 2015 under Bankruptcy Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

For a more definitive answer, you need a bankruptcy lawyer to review the filings and court resolution with you, but as a general matter: if a mortgage is not reaffirmed, the debt can be discharged as against the debtor, but the security interest is not eliminated. That means that if the mortgage is not paid, the lender--or someone who buys or otherwise takes over the mortgage from the lender--can foreclose on the property; however, they cannot sue you for any remaining balance (e.g. for anything left over after the property is seized and sold) and cannot go after other real estate you acquire.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.