My car was totaled by ins co but ins co is delaying payment to lienholder

My car was totaled in an auto accident
8/28/16 from a driver who hit my
parked car. It was determined by State
Farm to be a total loss, but State Farm
continues to provide excuses for
remitting payment to Kia Motor
Finance. What legal recourse can I
take against them? This is now
impacting my ability to get another car
and my credit rating.

Asked on September 14, 2016 under Insurance Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can try contacting the state insurance regulator or commissioner's office to file a complaint: they may be able yo help you. If they can't or won't, all you can do is threaten to sue them for breach of contract (not honoring their contractual obligation to pay--insurance policies are contracts--when, under the terms of the policy they should); if they still won't pay, then follow through and sue them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.