What to do if my brother, who is executor of my dad’s Trust, just had him change the Trust to exclude me from receiving a lump-sum payment of the estate?

My dad is turning 85. I moved out of state a few years back and my brother has had my dad’s ear. I was told that I will be given just enough to live from the amount that I was to inherit. I think there is some cohersion here. Also If my brother passes, my sister in law has been named the next executor, bypassing me. This had all happened since my father’s health started to fade.

Asked on November 14, 2013 under Estate Planning, Oregon


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for the situation.  If you believe that your Father has been - and continues to be - unduly influenced by your brother then you need to take charge of the situation by being appointed as his guardian and the conservator of his estate. But the problem is that you live out of state and away from your Dad.  Is it possible to bring him closer to you?  The issue here is also to have his mental state assessed to determine if he is sound to make the changes.  And if he is not truly then you can challenge the changes made, but not until he passes when it is too late.  If you are appointed now you can see about setting the new trust aside.  Please seek legal counsel.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.