My grandmother died and my family is getting money, am I entitled to any of it?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My grandmother died and my family is getting money, am I entitled to any of it?

My grandmother died at a nursing home due to lack of medical attention. My family has a lawsuit but says

that I’m not entitled to any of it. The other day I received papers in the mail asking to sign papers to say I agree? Why would I sign the papers if I’m not entitled to any of the estate?

Asked on October 11, 2017 under Estate Planning, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  It is hard to guide you in this since I can not read the paperwork involved.  I would urge you to seek help and have a lawyer read the papers and explain things to you before you sign anything.  If your Grandmother died without a Will and her children are all still living then likely you would not inherit under the intestacy statutes in Michigan.  But if she had a Will and you were in it, any proceeds from the lawsuit would pass through that and you would inherit.  Get help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption