What to do if my boyfriend was charged with sexual assault because he was 18 and I was 14 at the time but we only had sex twice in 7 months?

Is there anything that I can do to get the charges dropped or at least the protection order and, if not, will I have to wait until I’m 18 to be with him even though the legal consent age is 16?

Asked on November 19, 2014 under Criminal Law, Iowa


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Your boyfriend needs to get a lawyer as soon as possible.  The law is clear about this issue and if convicted he could have to register as a sex offender the rest of his life.  If you really care about him I would consider how this could affect his life and what you think is best for him.  I think that you know.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.