If my boyfriend was arrested for 4 counts of battery on a peace officer and we now live in another state, how likely is it that he will be extradited for this?

I bailed him out of jail and we are now in a different state. There is a warrant for failure to appear in court.

Asked on August 30, 2014 under Criminal Law, Iowa


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

First understand that an Attorney is an officer of the court and as such I have a duty to advise you that it is not your boyfriend's best interest to run from these charges to another state or anywhere. If there is a warant issued he could be detained for a simple thing such as a stop for a traffic infraction. The best thing for him to do is to contact an attorney in the other state and have them run interference for the entire matter. You listed Iowa as the state you are asking from (which may not be correct I understand). But just to give you a little information, the state of Iowa is part of the Interstate Extradition Compact.  And while states may not extradict for offenses such as misdeameanors (i.e., not a murder suspect), hitting a peace officer may well be given priority.  Get help.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.