What do I do if I have brought charges against my husband but now want them dropped?

UPDATED: Aug 30, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 30, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I do if I have brought charges against my husband but now want them dropped?

A detective at the sheriff’s department is claiming that I am abusing the system and I am worried she will try to claim that of me.

Asked on August 30, 2014 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can ask that they be dropped, and assuming that this is the first time you have done this and that there is no evidence of improper motive (such as that  you used the threat of charges to force  your husband to do something), you should not face liability for doing this.

However, please bear in mind that while you can ask for charges to be dropped, the authorities do not have to drop them: once you file your complaint or call the police, you are a witness to the action--you are not in control of it. The authorities may choose to respect your wishes, but may continue prosecution even if you don't want them to.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption