What to do if my biological mother passed away1 year ago and I am now of legal age 18but my uncle will not allow me to have her ashes, death certificate, etc?

I believe mom had no Will, for we had nothing. My uncle and aunt refuse to allow me to visit my little sister of whom I practically raised while mom was ill. She was adopted by them but I was not due to soon turning 18. They are vindictive and harassing. I have tried to reason with them but they are not being cooperative or even civil. Where can I turn for assistance in pursuing my legal rights?

Asked on November 7, 2011 under Estate Planning, Oregon


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you know what county and state that your mother died in, go down to the county department of vital statistics and order a copy of your mother's death certificate. As her daughter you are entitled to a copy.

If you want the ashes of your mother, you will need to hire an attorney experienced in family law matters. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.