If my aunt wants to leave everything in her Will to my wife and I, what does she have to do to make it legal and so that other family members may not contest it?

She has a handwritten Will but wants to put in on a legal document. How do we go about that?

Asked on March 1, 2015 under Estate Planning, Illinois


Christine Socrates / Christine Sabio Socrates, Atty at Law

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It is often impossible to prevent a family member from trying to contest a will/trust but if they initiate a will contest without legitimate grounds then they have little chance of success. They best thing your aunt can do to protect her estate from a will contest is to make sure she works with an experienced estate planning attorney and that she has all the components of a valid will in the state of Ohio. Depending on what assets are in her current estate, there may be other ways of transferring the property at her death, outsideo of probate.  An estate planning attorney can go over these options with her.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.