If I got a misdemeanor reckless operation of a personal watercraft, what are my options for proceeding and is it worth getting an attorney to fight the ticket?

My son is 16 and is an out of state resident with a ticket issued.

Asked on July 2, 2012 under Criminal Law, Michigan


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

A reckless driving/operating a motor vehicle ticket is a misdemeanor offense that can have both criminal and insurance repercussions. Criminally, upon a plea of guilty, your son would have this on his record. Insurance wise, your (or your son's) insurance rates will sky rocket due to the reckless driving offense, which can total up to 6 points on a driver's record. You need to consult an experienced attorney to help reduce the nature of this ticket to a lesser offense to avoid the possible criminal and financial penalties.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.