my husband walked out on me i am disabled can i get support from him

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

my husband walked out on me i am disabled can i get support from him

my husband walked out on me last Friday and left me with rent lights and water bill what can I do to get support from him. He is 70yrs. old I am 57 and disabled we have been married for 14yrs.

Asked on April 30, 2017 under Family Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can file a divorce action  or case against him. In that case, in addition to asking for permanent (or at least long-lasting) spousal support (e.g. alimony) and a share of the marital assets, you can seek a court order ("injunction") requiring him to pay certain bills or expenses (or otherwise provide interim support) while the case is still "pending" before the court (that is, before a final resolution). Since filling for injunctive relief is more complex than "just" a regular divorce case, especially if you do it on an "emergent" (think: "urgent" or "emergency") basis to get a court order (and support) faster, you are strongly advised to retain a divorce or matrimonial or family law attorney to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption