Legal rights in the state of California

What are the legal rights of my son’s girlfriend staying in our home, rent free, using our address for her mail here in California?

Asked on June 12, 2009 under Real Estate Law, California


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I'm not a California attorney, and there might be facts you haven't mentioned that might make a difference here. For advice you can rely on, please talk to a lawyer near you, and one place to look for counsel is our website,

Assuming that you and your spouse are the only legal owners of the house, and on general principles that are true in most places, your son's girlfriend is an invited guest.  She is a guest only as long as you welcome her.  Once you let her know that she is no longer welcome, she becomes a trespasser.  And, at some point, I would think that you could get the police to come and walk her out the door if it came to that.

J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

when a person resides in another person home, especially when they pay no rent and have no lease agreement they would not have any legal rights to said property. if she is claiming a right to such property I would not think she has any standing. if she does provide an issue you should contact a local attorney who can handle this matter for you. An attorney will help you if you need to get her out and ensure no further action taken

although she will have no rights she could cause a headache so an attorney may be able to alleviate those issues. good luck

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.