If I’m on probation for felony drug charges, can the sheriff and/or the probation officer can come into my house when I am not there

Asked on August 26, 2016 under Criminal Law, Arkansas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

In order to assist probation/parole officers with their supervision and to aid in the general law enforcement need to curb recidivism, many states require probationers/parolees to agree that their conditional release will be subject to curtailing their normal 4th Amendment rights. Accordingly, the probationer/parolee agrees to submit both themselves and their property, including their residence, to warrantless, suspicionless search and seizures by any correctional or law enforcement officer for the duration of their probationary/parole term.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.