Is there any way to get out of a theft of service charge that’s under $10?

Asked on July 24, 2015 under Criminal Law, Georgia


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The easiest way to get out of most theft charges is to bargain restitution in exchange for a dismissal.  Sometimes, people wlll pay the restitution because it's cheaper than paying an attorney.  The other way to get out of a theft of service charge is to prove that you didn't get the benefit of the service.  If you didn't get anything, then you can be charged with a completed offense of theft. 

Before you make any final decisions about your case, considering visiting with a couple of defense attorneys.  There may be some additional options which are specific to your case or options which are not apparent from the brief description which you provided hear.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.