Can someone force me into paying money that my parents never consented to if I am a student

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can someone force me into paying money that my parents never consented to if I am a student

I am a high school student who was recently involved in a Model UN club at my school, and they are competing at a convention but something came up and I cannnot go anymore. The cost to go is $300, but neither my parents or I signed a form agreeing to pay it, or anything signing me up for the convention. I dropped out a while ago but now they’re saying I

Asked on November 1, 2016 under Business Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you are a minor, it is your parents who might have to pay. They can be made to pay if they implicitly agreed to it: that means if any of the materials or information provided to you (and/or them) about the Model UN included a notice that students would go to this convention and would have to pay a $300 fee/cost for doing so, then by being a member of the club, you and they could be held to have agreed to pay it. So agreement can be implied, rather than explicit, but still requires notice, or warning, of the fee prior to you doing something, like joining the club, showing your agreement. If there was never any notice or discussion, etc. of the fee, then you and your parents would not owe it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption