Is there any way to get a hardship license if you have already had one before?

My mother has been carrying me to and from work but she has had a stroke and can no longer drive. I don’t even drink anymore and I haven’t had anything to drink since my last DUI. However, it was my 4th offense and I don’t have the $5000 to pay off the fines so I can get my license back.

Asked on March 24, 2012 under Criminal Law, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can make an application with your state's department of motor vehicles to reinstate your driver's license on a limited basis (to and from work). However, from what you have written, the chances of you getting it reinstated based on the fact that you have four (4) matters involving a motor vehicle and alcohol does not bode well for you in getting a limited driver's license especially since you do not have the $5,000 to pay the fines to get your license.

I suggest that you consider getting a bicycle or using public transportation to get to work as an alternate way of transportation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.