Is there a statue of limations to appeal a sentencing once partial time is served and is released on parole?

Asked on July 30, 2012 under Criminal Law, Florida


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

In most states you have what's called an Appeal of Right, and an Appeal of Leave. An "Appeal of Right" is an appeal you file within a certain time period immediately following your sentence in which the appellate courts must hear and rule on the appeal. An Appeal of Leave is where you file a criminal appeal well after the statutory time limitations, it can even be a few years later depending on the circumstances, but the appellate court can hear the appeal at its own discretion, if at all. You may want to contact an appellate attorney in your area to see what your appellate rights are at this point.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.