is there a maximum number of hours for an exempt employee? is there a maximum for one who is high risk pregnany?

Working as a general manager at a restaurant in PA. Is there a maximum or minimum number of hours I can work? Currently scheduled 52 hours a week, but due to doctors appointments occasionally need days off. I never work less than 43 hours a week. Is my employer allowed to require me to make up hours even though I’ve still worked 43 in a work week? I am pregnant, and high risk pregnancy. Are there any specific laws on my side to protect me. My condition requires me to have an appointment once a week for an injection that will hopefully allow me to carry the pregnancy to full term, is my boss allowed to require me to make up hours I missed from these appointments?

Asked on March 14, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Yes, your boss can require you to make up the hours you miss for the doctor's appointments. The law does not cap how many hours a pregnant worker--even one with a high-risk pregnancy--can work. Your employer determines your hours and can require you to make up hours or work missed due to medical appointment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.