Can I quit my job and be eligible for unemployment due to employer not following through with a promise?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I quit my job and be eligible for unemployment due to employer not following through with a promise?

I was hired at my job with prior negotiations of receiving a 1 increase in 3 months with an additional training. 3 months are up and was told this cant happen because my job title does not allow for this additional training. I have conversation text messages that prove this negotiation prior to taking the position.

Asked on March 14, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, if you quit for this reason, it will be a voluntary separation from employment and you will not be eligible for unemployment benefits. The issue about unemployment isn't whether quiting is understandable or morally/ethically justified or not--it's whether it is voluntary. When you voluntarily leave employment, you dod not receive unemployment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption