Is it possible for a lawyer to represent for a client in a different state?

Client has been in jail for a year without any hardcore evidence but only changed

Asked on April 27, 2017 under Criminal Law, Maryland


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The answer to your question is maybe. An attorney who is licensed and in good standing in the second state can practice there. At other times, out of state attorneys are hired and represent persons with the assistance of local counsel. Also, some states allow an attorney to "waive in" and practice there under certain circumstances for a limited purpose and period of time. The best thing to do is to check with the state bar in the second state.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.