Is it the law that a landlord do a final walkthrough with you when you move out?

Our landlord said she was busy the day we were moving out so she couldn’t do the walk through with us. She waited until almost 3 weeks later and now is saying that we owe for things we know aren’t true but have no way of proving them because we are out of state. Also, it’s been past 30 days and we still haven’t heard anything for her about our deposit or received anything.

Asked on August 1, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Missouri


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It is my understanding that your state requires that a landlord must notify you with in the 30 days after you vacate of the time they will be inspecting the dwelling.  You have a right to be present.  Landlords in your state can only keep your security for actual damages (not for normal wear and tear), unpaid rent, or lost rent due to the tenant moving out without adequate notice. They must return the funds within 30 days or an itemized list of what is being withheld and why. If the landlord has wrongfully withheld all or part of a deposit, the tenant may sue to recover up to twice the amount wrongfully withheld.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.