If my husband filed for divorce, can we fire both attorneys and do a judgment of separate maintenance in pro per by ourselves?

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband filed for divorce, can we fire both attorneys and do a judgment of separate maintenance in pro per by ourselves?

Asked on August 23, 2011 Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you and your husband can resolve all issues concerning the dissolution of your marriage, the division of your assets and liabilities, spousal suppost, child support, child custody and visitation on your own without the need for legal representation, then you could terminate both of your family law attorneys and draw up your own marital dissolution agreement to be approved by the court by way of an order for dissolution.

If that is your course of action, then each of you would be representing yourselves in your marital dissolution as your own attorneys of record.

One concern is that you and your husband might miss some important issues needing resolution as part of your marital dissolution that a competent family law lawyer might might bring up.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption