Is a final judgment a legal document?

i was divorced 19 years ago in RI. The  decree states that he is to maintain $100,000 life insurance policy for benefit of ex-wife and children. How do I find out if it still exists?

Asked on September 26, 2011 under Family Law, Arizona


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

First what you need to do is to read the decree and your agreement carefully to make sure that there was not a time limit on the maintenance of the policy.  Generally speaking, people agree to those terms while children are young and there is a requirement under the law to care for them while they are minors.  Some times the requirement ends with emancipation of the youngest child.  If that is not the case here then you have a valid claim.  Now, I am assuming that you are asking because he has passed on.  If that is also the case then you need to make a claim against the estate as a creditor would do.  That is the easiest way for you to find out the information that you want.  If you have the policy information that would be helpful too, but the claims people may not tell you anything.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.