If I’m 17 and have a 6 month old daugther, can we get married without my parent’s consent?

UPDATED: Oct 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m 17 and have a 6 month old daugther, can we get married without my parent’s consent?

I’m in foster care and my parents refuse to sign my papers to get married. I need to know my options. Many people are telling me that I am an adult now that Ihave my daughter but some are saying otherwise. I just want the truth. My finance is 21 years of age. What happens if I ran away?

Asked on October 15, 2011 under Family Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I can surely understand how you must be frustrated and the situation that you are in must not be the best for you and your daughter. But you are still a minor under the law and running away may have a negative effect on you and it may have a really bad result with regards to your daughter.  So let's see if there is another solution.  You may be able to file for emancipation.  Here are the requirements in California:

To get a declaration of emancipation, you have to prove ALL of these things:

  • You are at least 14 years old.
  • You do not want to live with your parents. Your parents do not mind if you move out.
  • You can handle your own money.
  • You have a legal way to make money.
  • Emancipation would be good for you.

Now, I do not know all the facts surrounding your situation.  Or how close that you are to 18.  I am going to give you a link to the California courts self help center.  Start with that.  Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption