If I inherited my father’s house but my stepmother can live there for her lifetime, who pays taxes, insurance and normal repairs on it?

Asked on December 7, 2013 under Estate Planning, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The life estate that your mother has is subject to her paying the insurance, property taxes and the like for the home, not you. I suggest that you have a document drawn up by an attorney signed by you both so there is no misunderstanding re the above.

S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Your stepmother has a life estate, which means she lives in your father's house for the remainder of her life.  You are the remainderman which means you receive possession of the property upon your stepmother's death.

Your stepmother is responsible for the taxes, insurance and repairs on the property.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.