If I’m the custodial parent of a minor, do I have to notify the court that I am moving if my child support does not go through the court and its over 160 miles?

And how many days in advance must I notify the court and or the non-custodial parent?

Asked on January 17, 2013 under Family Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

As a practical matter you should advise the non-custodial parent as well as the court that you and the minor will be moving presumably out of the county where the custodial order has been issued. My experience in such matters is that you should consult with a family law attorney to serve notice upon the other parent and the court of your intent. It is better to throw the subject out before the move than afterwards.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.