If in the 14 years we have been married my husband has never put my name on the mobile home we live in, can he put me out of the home?

What, if any, rights do I have?

Asked on July 21, 2015 under Family Law, Maryland


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Community property is determined by when an asset is aquired, not necessarily by title.  If this mobile home was aquired during he marriage, then it's community property.. which means that he cannot "just put you out of the home."  Many husband's try to keep their wives off of titles, not realizing it has little effect.

If you are concerned that the marriage is going south and that he will trying to illegally force you from your home, consider reaching out to some local legal aid organizations to help you file for a divorce... including a motion for temporary orders to grant you exclusive use of the home which the divorce is pending.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.