In PAI got 3 counts of DUI for driving, suspended license and underage and a Blood Alcohol of 0.17 and I’m 19 and this is my first offense. What can happen?

Basically I lost my phone in the woods around 11pm and I used my car headlights to look for the phone and I didn’t pull my handbrake up all the way and it rolled into a ditch. I then started walking down the road and then the cops showed up while I was walking. I wasn’t driving and my license wasn’t suspended till the next day.

Asked on June 7, 2009 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You had been using the vehicle -- in many states, simply turning the vehicle on is sufficient.  A lot can happen to you -- you drank in this country under 21 -- not a smart thing to do.

So, if it is indeed your first offense, this is the best time to get to plea bargaining.  Do not attempt to do this with the prosecutor alone.  You don't know the court system, the particular prosecutor's habits, agenda, history or that of the judge.

Get a criminal defense counsel or use your public defender.  If private counsel, try and check his or her record at the Pennsylvania State Bar.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.