How long can a case asking for judgement for a creditor remain undisposed?

The case was filed over 3 1/2 for a debt not paid since prior to 5 1/2 years ago. Is there a statute of limitations? Just curious. They filed it in the wrong county. It is not on my credit report other than the account being listed as sent for collection.

Asked on January 28, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, Ohio


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You dispute the account on your credit report as not owing the debt and statute of limitations has run. Do not admit to the debt and see if the credit reporting agency can get this off of your record. If you have not heard, in all likelihood the statute of limitations has run on this. See if you can contact the court and find out if there has been any movement on this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.