I’m starting a small construction company because there is a demand for my work in my area.

I need to get a tax ID number for my construction/ remodeling business. I mainly work alone, but need at least one employee. Should I start this as a sole proprietor, or should I spend the money and get an LLC?

Asked on October 12, 2017 under Business Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Create an LLC. LLC stands for "limited liability company"; that means it "limits," or reduces, your personal "liability," or legal exposure to business debts and obligations. While the protect is not absolute or perfect--it won't protect you from any loans or debts you personally guaranty, from liability for wrongful acts you *personally* do (e.g. if you are driving the company van and run someone over), or certain tax debts--it *will* protect your personal money and assets (e.g house) from most business debts or liability. So with an LLC, if your business violates a contract, you cannot be personally sued; if your employee runs into someone while driving for work, the business can be sued, but not you personally; if the business has a loan which you did not guaranty, you would not be responsible for it; etc. You really want that protection for your personal assets and money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.