Am I entitled to any part of my estranged father’s estate when he passes?

UPDATED: Nov 29, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 29, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I entitled to any part of my estranged father’s estate when he passes?

I have a well to do father living out of state. He is getting up in age; I am 57. I never saw him growing up; I don’t know if it was because of him or my mother. When my mother passed I went to see him twice and found that I had 2 sisters older than me. He had a new girlfriend and I don’t think that she cared for me because of her attitude towards me. I believe that they got married and my father discouraged me from coming out there again. As far as I know, he did not give my mother any financial support as I was growing up. Only 1 sister will sometimes reply to my emails. I was wondering if I am entitled to any of my father’s estate should he pass before me?

Asked on November 29, 2013 under Estate Planning, Maryland


Mark Chalpin / Mark G. Chalpin, Esq.

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If your father has a will that survives probate, the will will control as to distribution of his estate assets.  Being well to do, he probably has a will.  If he dies witout a will, a survivivg spouse would inherit his entire estate.  Otherwise, his estate will be distributed equally among his children.  For example, if he has four children, you would get 25% of his assets.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption