Does the beneficiary of a revocable living trust have any right to the funds before the disbursement date?

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does the beneficiary of a revocable living trust have any right to the funds before the disbursement date?

My parents established a revocable living trust for me at birth (19 years ago) with my mother as the trustee. I believe the trust is specifically set up for my education and all the money in it must be used for my schooling until I have graduated college and turned 30. Here’s the important part: my parents won’t let me use the trust funds to go to the college I want to go to. Do I have any right to that money if it’s going to my education? Can they really legally deny me tuition funding if the trust is for education?

Asked on September 7, 2011 under Estate Planning, New Hampshire


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your parents set up a trust for you as a revocable trust (as opposed to irrevocable) the trustees under the trust who presumably are your parents can change its terms at any time period. Additionally, depending upon the language of the revocable trust where you are its supposed beneficary, the trustees under it typically have the discretion to hold back moneys due a beneficiary if the trustees determine that the powers under the trust given them warrant no disbursement of moneys.

If you are a beneficiary under a trust, the moneys earmarked for you are a gift and not an entitlement. I suggest that you sit down with your parents to discuss the situation about your need for finances for your education in that as the trustees under the trust, your parents most likely are entitled to hold back funds for your eductation under this trust.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption