What are an employees rights to parking?

I work for a hotel and we have never once had the cops come to our parking lot. I work third shift, so I feel safer parking near the door. Since it’s getting close to holidays, our hotel parking lot is pretty empty beside the parking up front close to the door. I park in the handicapped spot; mine is the only car there. Can an employee get a ticket at their own work place or should I just pay the fine?

Asked on October 22, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Alaska


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Unless required under the terms of an employment contract or union agreement, an employer is under no duty to provide employee parking. Futher, unless you have been issued handicapped placard then you have not right to park in a handicapped space.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

There is NO employee right to parking at their place of employment: employers do not have to provide any employee parking, for example, and employees have no inherent right to park on their employer's property. There is especially no right to park in a handicapped spot, even if no one else is using it. You have no defense to the ticket.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.