If you sign something in divorce papers but later change your mind, can you just decide you don’t want to follow through with it?

In my divorce papers my ex signed a quitclaim deed on the house but stated he would pay 1/4 of the mortgage for 9 months or until it sold whichever came first. I got a roommate and he now says he will stop making the payments. He signed the papers and the judge signed off on it. How much trouble would he be in if he stops making the payments? Can I legally make him honor this document?

Asked on December 6, 2011 under Family Law, Tennessee


David Lee / Law Offices of David Lee

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Unless there was a stipulation in your agreement that provided for the new roomate, your ex-spouse is bound by the court order.  In order to enforce the order, you or your attorney would have to file a Petition for Rule to Show Cause to compel compliance or to hold your ex-spouse in contempt of court.


For more information on Enforcing Court Orders, visit my website at:


David Lee


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.