If you are married but your birthdate on the marriage license is wrong, are you legally married?

Asked on May 12, 2017 under Family Law, New York


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

An adminsitrative error of this type will not nullify and otherwise legal marriage. Even if the spouse's birthdate was intentionally misrepresented, it will not effect the validiy of the marriage unless the spouse's real age was under 18. In that case, the marriage can be held null and void (parental permission would have had to have been given).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.