If the landlord already sent me my deposit, can they request me to return it?

My landlord sent me my deposit refund 2 months ago. I later received a letter in which they stated that they were keeping my deposit in full due to carpet replacement (which they were in the process of updating all carpet to tile when I moved) cleaning stove, etc). I am not sure if I am supposed to reply or if I should see if they try to sue me as I already cashed the check and I received the letter after the 30 days.

Asked on July 21, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written, your landlord is not paying attention to detail with respect to your deposit in that from the last letter that you received it appears that the landlord has taken the posiiton that you will not receive the return of your full security deposit despite the fact that you received it two months ago.

It is up to you to handle the situation that is not resolved with respect to your security deposit. You can sit back and wait and see what transpires or respond. Note, you should not be expected to pay for upgrades to tile after you moved if the carpet simply had normal wear and tear as to it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.