If someone signed a statement to make repairs upon vacating but they don’t, what can you do?

This is a situation in which an extended family member had someone with a trailer on her land and this person moved off about a month ago. Before moving she had paid rent and signed an agreement to put back the property the way it was before she moved there. She also agreed to have a professional landscaper do the work. They have e-mailed her and called her twice with no responsefrom her.

Asked on May 28, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The landlord could sue the tenant for breach of contract.  The landlord's damages (the amount of compensation the landlord is seeking to recover in the lawsuit for breach of contract) would be the cost of restoring the property to its original condition.  The landlord will need to mitigate (minimize) damages by hiring a landscaper and/or others whose costs are reasonable and comparable to other landscapers in the area.  If the landlord selected the most expensive landscaper, the landlord would have failed to mitigate damages and the landlord's damages would be reduced accordingly.  The landlord could also deduct the cost of repairs to the property from the security deposit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.