Can unemployment benefits be denied for the time period that severance pay covers?

I am being required to sign a waiver or “release of claims” to obtain severance pay.

Asked on November 26, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The general rule is that yes, you can collect unemployment if you're given a severance package. The reasoning is that severance pay is not considered “wages” that would otherwise count against your right to unemployment benefits. However, sometimes there is a temporary delay in eligibility for unemployment insurance depending on how the severance is paid out. If it is payable in a lump sum it should not affect your unemployment benefits; if it is paid over time as though you are still on the payroll it may delay your ability to collect.

As for your release of claims waiver, it sounds as though your employer is requiring that you be paid severance only if you sign this waiver. A release of claims is a contract “waiving,” or giving up, any potential legal claims you may have against the employer, either now or in the future. These contracts are generally legal and enforceable. However, the right to collect unemployment benefits cannot legally be waived.

If you have any further questions, you should sit down with an employment law attorney in your area.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.