What ca I do if my manager reduces the time on my timesheet?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What ca I do if my manager reduces the time on my timesheet?

My employer has been reducing my time by 20 minutes for the last 3 years and admitted to it yesterday. The company is offering me money back. How do I know what the correct amount should be? What if

they offer an amount lower than my calculation, do I fight it? Should I get a lawyer?

Asked on April 12, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The amount you should get is fairly easy to calculate: it is your hourly rate x 1/3 (since 20 minutes is 1/3 of an hour) for each day you believe they did this. Example: typically, there are around 240 work days in a year; say you think they did this 3/4 of the time each year for three years, and that you earn $15.00/hour. If they reduced your time by 1/3 hour for 3/4 of 240 workdays for 3 years and you earn $15.00 per hour, they cost you 1/3 x 3/4 x 240 x 3 x $15.00, or 180 x $15.00, or $2,700.00. Multiply your best guess as to the time they shorted you by your rate.
If they offer you less than the amount you calculate, then think about whether it worth suing for the difference. For example, say they offer you $2,000 when you think they probably owe you $2,700. Since proving the exact amount they shorted you could be difficult unless you kept very good records, and hiring a lawyer could easily cost you more than $700 (and if you did not hire a lawyer, you'd have to be willing to be your own attorney), you might take the $2,000 to get the check in hand and resolve the matter without litigation. But if you think, as in the example above, that they owe you $2,700 and they only offer you $500, it would probably be worth suing. You have to decide based on how big the shortfall is, if any.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption