If our landlord subdivides our leased property and proceeds to start construction of a new residence, are they required to issue a revised lease?

The landlord notified us informally that they were subdividing the property and would be looking for buyers. They have since sold one section of the land and the buyer began construction of their residence. It has since become an issue with their construction crew not providing us quiet enjoyment of the property. They have been using the water that we pay for and making a muddy nightmare of the gravel driveway that accesses both properties.

Asked on December 9, 2011 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Good question. If the landlord is subdividing the leased property is building another structure nearby, he or she is not required to provide you with a revised lease for the unit you are renting.

However, if you are being inconvenienced concerning the construction or are not being able to use all that you were paying rent for as far as space, then your landlord should give you some semblance of a rebate on your monthly rental. I would also discuss the issue of water usage that you are paying for which is being used by the construction crew.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.