If our father passed away without a Will and had debt, what do we do?

My sister and I need to gain medical information and can’t do it without POA but we don’t have the funds to cover his debt? What is the best option to take in this scenario?

Asked on October 19, 2014 under Estate Planning, Florida


Christine Socrates / Christine Sabio Socrates, Atty at Law

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

A POA terminates at death so that would not have helped you after your father passed away. More information would be needed to advise you on this matter.  Is a probate estate necessary in this matter?  Did you father have any assets that were in his name alone without a beneficiary designated?  If so, if you need to open up a probate estate and get appointed administrator. You will be able to get the medical information you need with the Letters of Authority from the court after appointment.  If the estate is insolvent, the estate may not be responsible for the debts depending on the type of debt.  For example unsecured debt, if there are insufficient probate assets to cover the credit card company may not get paid.  It would be best for you to consult with an attorney to properly advise you.  I would be happy to assist if you.  You can contact my office if you would like.  Thank you.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.